Crystal cartridges

Have you found a supplier of parts or service that you would recommend to others? This is the place to share those suppliers
User avatar
TC Chris
Anchor Member
Posts: 3727
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:50 am
Location: Traverse City, MI
Contact:

Crystal cartridges

Post: # 30668Post TC Chris »

Does anybody have a source for the old high-output crystal cartridges for 78 players? My 1946 GE's cart is getting weak.

Chris Campbell
User avatar
Conelrad
Hero Member
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:28 am
Location: Hidden Valley, AZ
Contact:

Re: Crystal cartridges

Post: # 30671Post Conelrad »

The antiqueradios.com Classifieds have a listing for rebuilt crystal carts.

D
User avatar
TC Chris
Anchor Member
Posts: 3727
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:50 am
Location: Traverse City, MI
Contact:

Re: Crystal cartridges

Post: # 30672Post TC Chris »

I cannot find a classified ad page on the site. Hate to sound dim-witted, but I tried every link i could find.

Chris Campbell
User avatar
electra225
Site Admin
Posts: 8979
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
Contact:

Re: Crystal cartridges

Post: # 30673Post electra225 »

You could also send Gary at VM Enthusiasts an email to see what he could provide. He is listed on this board.

https://thevoiceofmusic.com/

Not too toot the horn of ARF, but if you get on their Parts board, West Tech is listed as being a rebuilder of crystal cartridges.
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
User avatar
William
Global Moderator
Posts: 5417
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:42 pm
Location: Hart, Michigan
Contact:

Re: Crystal cartridges

Post: # 30674Post William »

The last I knew Gary had a few high output voltage ceramic cartridges available.

Bill
User avatar
TC Chris
Anchor Member
Posts: 3727
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:50 am
Location: Traverse City, MI
Contact:

Re: Crystal cartridges

Post: # 30675Post TC Chris »

I should check with ARF again. Some time back, there was discussion that Westech was out of that business, but they still have a web site.

Chris Campbell
User avatar
Conelrad
Hero Member
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:28 am
Location: Hidden Valley, AZ
Contact:

Re: Crystal cartridges

Post: # 30694Post Conelrad »

The guy on ARF that had some said they were rebuilt in Germany and he imported them.

D
User avatar
TC Chris
Anchor Member
Posts: 3727
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:50 am
Location: Traverse City, MI
Contact:

Re: Crystal cartridges

Post: # 30697Post TC Chris »

Is there a link to the seller?

Chris Campbell
User avatar
Conelrad
Hero Member
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:28 am
Location: Hidden Valley, AZ
Contact:

Re: Crystal cartridges

Post: # 30698Post Conelrad »

No, it was just a thread in the classifieds.

D
User avatar
electra225
Site Admin
Posts: 8979
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
Contact:

Re: Crystal cartridges

Post: # 30699Post electra225 »

In the way of being the devil's advocate....... ;) ;)

You might be able to use a high-output ceramic cartridge if you can get the tone arm weight right. That radio will have a pre-amp stage that would build up the output of a ceramic cartridge so it could drive the output to sufficient volume. I saw that ad on ARF and almost posted about it. Something about those cartridges being rebuilt overseas raised the hair on my neck. I'm too suspicious, I reckon..... :oops: :roll: ;)

I think if it was my project, I'd get in touch with Gary and get his input. He never has steered me wrong.....
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
User avatar
Conelrad
Hero Member
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:28 am
Location: Hidden Valley, AZ
Contact:

Re: Crystal cartridges

Post: # 30700Post Conelrad »

I need one for my Wilcox-Gay "Recordett". It cuts and plays back recorded 10" discs with the same cart in a single tone arm and a stylus change.

All in a small suitcase. I should post some pix.

It's an AM radio, too.

D
User avatar
TC Chris
Anchor Member
Posts: 3727
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:50 am
Location: Traverse City, MI
Contact:

Re: Crystal cartridges

Post: # 30703Post TC Chris »

I could not find "classifieds" on ARF.

Chris Campbell
User avatar
electra225
Site Admin
Posts: 8979
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
Contact:

Re: Crystal cartridges

Post: # 30705Post electra225 »

Look near the bottom of the ARF home page. "Radio Classified" is the board for things like that.

Maybe this will help>

https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=459502
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
User avatar
electra225
Site Admin
Posts: 8979
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
Contact:

Re: Crystal cartridges

Post: # 30706Post electra225 »

Dennis, I had a Silvertone console radio, a 12-tuber with a 12" speaker that had a recording feature. It had two tone arms, one weighed as much as a small car, for recording, the other was still pretty heavy by modern standards, but it was for playback. I don't remember the model number anymore, I sold it at our auction in Missouri. I got the radio going, but never "fiddled" with the record player(s). I have no idea whether the recording part would work or not. I didn't have any black records I could test it with.
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
User avatar
TC Chris
Anchor Member
Posts: 3727
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:50 am
Location: Traverse City, MI
Contact:

Re: Crystal cartridges

Post: # 30708Post TC Chris »

I've got a Wilcox-Gay "Recordio" with the two-arm system.

Chris Campbell
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests