Crystal cartridges
- TC Chris
- Anchor Member
- Posts: 3727
- Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:50 am
- Location: Traverse City, MI
- Contact:
Crystal cartridges
Does anybody have a source for the old high-output crystal cartridges for 78 players? My 1946 GE's cart is getting weak.
Chris Campbell
Chris Campbell
- Conelrad
- Hero Member
- Posts: 287
- Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:28 am
- Location: Hidden Valley, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Crystal cartridges
The antiqueradios.com Classifieds have a listing for rebuilt crystal carts.
D
D
- TC Chris
- Anchor Member
- Posts: 3727
- Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:50 am
- Location: Traverse City, MI
- Contact:
Re: Crystal cartridges
I cannot find a classified ad page on the site. Hate to sound dim-witted, but I tried every link i could find.
Chris Campbell
Chris Campbell
- electra225
- Site Admin
- Posts: 8979
- Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
- Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Crystal cartridges
You could also send Gary at VM Enthusiasts an email to see what he could provide. He is listed on this board.
https://thevoiceofmusic.com/
Not too toot the horn of ARF, but if you get on their Parts board, West Tech is listed as being a rebuilder of crystal cartridges.
https://thevoiceofmusic.com/
Not too toot the horn of ARF, but if you get on their Parts board, West Tech is listed as being a rebuilder of crystal cartridges.
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
- William
- Global Moderator
- Posts: 5417
- Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:42 pm
- Location: Hart, Michigan
- Contact:
Re: Crystal cartridges
The last I knew Gary had a few high output voltage ceramic cartridges available.
Bill
Bill
- TC Chris
- Anchor Member
- Posts: 3727
- Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:50 am
- Location: Traverse City, MI
- Contact:
Re: Crystal cartridges
I should check with ARF again. Some time back, there was discussion that Westech was out of that business, but they still have a web site.
Chris Campbell
Chris Campbell
- Conelrad
- Hero Member
- Posts: 287
- Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:28 am
- Location: Hidden Valley, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Crystal cartridges
The guy on ARF that had some said they were rebuilt in Germany and he imported them.
D
D
- TC Chris
- Anchor Member
- Posts: 3727
- Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:50 am
- Location: Traverse City, MI
- Contact:
Re: Crystal cartridges
Is there a link to the seller?
Chris Campbell
Chris Campbell
- Conelrad
- Hero Member
- Posts: 287
- Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:28 am
- Location: Hidden Valley, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Crystal cartridges
No, it was just a thread in the classifieds.
D
D
- electra225
- Site Admin
- Posts: 8979
- Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
- Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Crystal cartridges
In the way of being the devil's advocate.......
You might be able to use a high-output ceramic cartridge if you can get the tone arm weight right. That radio will have a pre-amp stage that would build up the output of a ceramic cartridge so it could drive the output to sufficient volume. I saw that ad on ARF and almost posted about it. Something about those cartridges being rebuilt overseas raised the hair on my neck. I'm too suspicious, I reckon.....
I think if it was my project, I'd get in touch with Gary and get his input. He never has steered me wrong.....
You might be able to use a high-output ceramic cartridge if you can get the tone arm weight right. That radio will have a pre-amp stage that would build up the output of a ceramic cartridge so it could drive the output to sufficient volume. I saw that ad on ARF and almost posted about it. Something about those cartridges being rebuilt overseas raised the hair on my neck. I'm too suspicious, I reckon.....
I think if it was my project, I'd get in touch with Gary and get his input. He never has steered me wrong.....
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
- Conelrad
- Hero Member
- Posts: 287
- Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:28 am
- Location: Hidden Valley, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Crystal cartridges
I need one for my Wilcox-Gay "Recordett". It cuts and plays back recorded 10" discs with the same cart in a single tone arm and a stylus change.
All in a small suitcase. I should post some pix.
It's an AM radio, too.
D
All in a small suitcase. I should post some pix.
It's an AM radio, too.
D
- TC Chris
- Anchor Member
- Posts: 3727
- Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:50 am
- Location: Traverse City, MI
- Contact:
Re: Crystal cartridges
I could not find "classifieds" on ARF.
Chris Campbell
Chris Campbell
- electra225
- Site Admin
- Posts: 8979
- Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
- Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Crystal cartridges
Look near the bottom of the ARF home page. "Radio Classified" is the board for things like that.
Maybe this will help>
https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=459502
Maybe this will help>
https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=459502
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
- electra225
- Site Admin
- Posts: 8979
- Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
- Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Crystal cartridges
Dennis, I had a Silvertone console radio, a 12-tuber with a 12" speaker that had a recording feature. It had two tone arms, one weighed as much as a small car, for recording, the other was still pretty heavy by modern standards, but it was for playback. I don't remember the model number anymore, I sold it at our auction in Missouri. I got the radio going, but never "fiddled" with the record player(s). I have no idea whether the recording part would work or not. I didn't have any black records I could test it with.
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
- TC Chris
- Anchor Member
- Posts: 3727
- Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:50 am
- Location: Traverse City, MI
- Contact:
Re: Crystal cartridges
I've got a Wilcox-Gay "Recordio" with the two-arm system.
Chris Campbell
Chris Campbell
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests
