Stan Kenton
- 19&41
- Global Moderator
- Posts: 1967
- Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:11 pm
- Location: Jonesboro, Georgia
- Contact:
Stan Kenton
He led orchestras that were always striving to innovate and covered some varying styles. Here are 3 from the mid to late '50's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyiDS37tDCk Artistry Jumps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKA3AOfU-AQ Opus In Pastels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcXVnEQ4nFY Opus In Chartreuse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyiDS37tDCk Artistry Jumps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKA3AOfU-AQ Opus In Pastels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcXVnEQ4nFY Opus In Chartreuse
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-Arthur C. Clarke
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair
-Arthur C. Clarke
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair
- William
- Global Moderator
- Posts: 5431
- Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:42 pm
- Location: Hart, Michigan
- Contact:
Re: Stan Kenton
Somewhere around 1969-1970 I had the privilege of seeing/hearing Stan live in concert. I can still remember the energy of his band and the music they played. Thanks for sharing, Rex, and bring back memories.
Bill
Bill
- electra225
- Site Admin
- Posts: 8991
- Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
- Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Stan Kenton
I remember that you are a Stan Kenton fan, Rex. Am I all wet when I say that some of Stan Kenton's material and some of Frankie Carle's material is very similar? I like piano players. I can't name a bad one. 
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
- 19&41
- Global Moderator
- Posts: 1967
- Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:11 pm
- Location: Jonesboro, Georgia
- Contact:
Re: Stan Kenton
I guess I haven't listened to enough of Frankie Carle's music to judge any similarity. Both were excellent pianists.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-Arthur C. Clarke
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair
-Arthur C. Clarke
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair
- electra225
- Site Admin
- Posts: 8991
- Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
- Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Stan Kenton
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
- 19&41
- Global Moderator
- Posts: 1967
- Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:11 pm
- Location: Jonesboro, Georgia
- Contact:
Re: Stan Kenton
Using that as a gauge, I'd say their styles differ. Also Carle's piano works are concentrated on his playing as opposed to Kenton's participation in his orchestra. If you like piano performances you couldn't do much better than Frankie Carle.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-Arthur C. Clarke
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair
-Arthur C. Clarke
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair
- electra225
- Site Admin
- Posts: 8991
- Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
- Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Stan Kenton
Frankie Carle had an orchestra. I chose that selection for his three-finger piano playing was distinctive. If you get into some of this other material, featuring his orchestra, he and Kenton sound a lot alike to me. I can't think of a piano player I don't like.
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
- 19&41
- Global Moderator
- Posts: 1967
- Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:11 pm
- Location: Jonesboro, Georgia
- Contact:
Re: Stan Kenton
Here's another one, from Kenton's early days. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWRmm1v3J_g Reed Rapture.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-Arthur C. Clarke
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair
-Arthur C. Clarke
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair
- Hi-Fi-Mogul
- Anchor Member
- Posts: 1350
- Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:53 am
- Contact:
Re: Stan Kenton
Decades back when I went to estate sales frequently,
I came across some nice Kenton albums at different sales.
I have several Capitol 10 inch LP discs, such as
"A Presentation of Modern Jazz", and "Artistry in Rhythm".
I also found two very nice later albums.
"Duet Kenton Christy" featuring June Christy.
"Road Show Volume 1" featuring June Christy and
The Four Freshmen
Stan's creativity stands well in time.
I came across some nice Kenton albums at different sales.
I have several Capitol 10 inch LP discs, such as
"A Presentation of Modern Jazz", and "Artistry in Rhythm".
I also found two very nice later albums.
"Duet Kenton Christy" featuring June Christy.
"Road Show Volume 1" featuring June Christy and
The Four Freshmen
Stan's creativity stands well in time.
Hi-Fi-Mogul
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests
