Stan Kenton

Discuss music and media, records, tape, CD's, reel-to-reel, cassettes, whatever. Artists and genre discussions.
Post Reply
User avatar
19&41
Global Moderator
Posts: 1967
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:11 pm
Location: Jonesboro, Georgia
Contact:

Stan Kenton

Post: # 9793Post 19&41 »

He led orchestras that were always striving to innovate and covered some varying styles. Here are 3 from the mid to late '50's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyiDS37tDCk Artistry Jumps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKA3AOfU-AQ Opus In Pastels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcXVnEQ4nFY Opus In Chartreuse
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-Arthur C. Clarke
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair
User avatar
William
Global Moderator
Posts: 5431
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:42 pm
Location: Hart, Michigan
Contact:

Re: Stan Kenton

Post: # 9795Post William »

Somewhere around 1969-1970 I had the privilege of seeing/hearing Stan live in concert. I can still remember the energy of his band and the music they played. Thanks for sharing, Rex, and bring back memories.

Bill
User avatar
electra225
Site Admin
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
Contact:

Re: Stan Kenton

Post: # 9800Post electra225 »

I remember that you are a Stan Kenton fan, Rex. Am I all wet when I say that some of Stan Kenton's material and some of Frankie Carle's material is very similar? I like piano players. I can't name a bad one. ;)
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
User avatar
19&41
Global Moderator
Posts: 1967
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:11 pm
Location: Jonesboro, Georgia
Contact:

Re: Stan Kenton

Post: # 9802Post 19&41 »

I guess I haven't listened to enough of Frankie Carle's music to judge any similarity. Both were excellent pianists.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-Arthur C. Clarke
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair
User avatar
electra225
Site Admin
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
Contact:

Re: Stan Kenton

Post: # 9805Post electra225 »

Here is an example of what I'm referring to.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0O03ryFC6U
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
User avatar
19&41
Global Moderator
Posts: 1967
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:11 pm
Location: Jonesboro, Georgia
Contact:

Re: Stan Kenton

Post: # 9808Post 19&41 »

Using that as a gauge, I'd say their styles differ. Also Carle's piano works are concentrated on his playing as opposed to Kenton's participation in his orchestra. If you like piano performances you couldn't do much better than Frankie Carle.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-Arthur C. Clarke
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair
User avatar
electra225
Site Admin
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
Contact:

Re: Stan Kenton

Post: # 9810Post electra225 »

Frankie Carle had an orchestra. I chose that selection for his three-finger piano playing was distinctive. If you get into some of this other material, featuring his orchestra, he and Kenton sound a lot alike to me. I can't think of a piano player I don't like.
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
User avatar
19&41
Global Moderator
Posts: 1967
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:11 pm
Location: Jonesboro, Georgia
Contact:

Re: Stan Kenton

Post: # 9813Post 19&41 »

Here's another one, from Kenton's early days. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWRmm1v3J_g Reed Rapture.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-Arthur C. Clarke
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair
User avatar
Hi-Fi-Mogul
Anchor Member
Posts: 1350
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:53 am
Contact:

Re: Stan Kenton

Post: # 9819Post Hi-Fi-Mogul »

Decades back when I went to estate sales frequently,
I came across some nice Kenton albums at different sales.

I have several Capitol 10 inch LP discs, such as
"A Presentation of Modern Jazz", and "Artistry in Rhythm".

I also found two very nice later albums.

"Duet Kenton Christy" featuring June Christy.

"Road Show Volume 1" featuring June Christy and
The Four Freshmen

Stan's creativity stands well in time.
Hi-Fi-Mogul
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests