Newcomb 1656 find…

Discussions about instruments in smaller cabinets. If they don't set on the floor, they belong here. Tube and solid state, stereo and mono.
Post Reply
User avatar
1922VV111
Senior Member
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2025 3:35 am
Location: Near Omaha NE!
Contact:

Newcomb 1656 find…

Post: # 30681Post 1922VV111 »

I found this turntable at the swap meet for $10 I think this would be excellent for 78s! It came with a mic but I’m not sure it works yet because I haven’t plugged it in. (Probably doesn’t and they are moving this quickly to my hands lol)

It has a GE RPX type cart so I figure it’s a ground shaker when working properly but I don’t have the speakers for it.

I also found a Webcor reel to reel along with it for $10
Attachments
IMG_1033.jpeg
IMG_1031.jpeg
User avatar
electra225
Site Admin
Posts: 8974
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
Contact:

Re: Newcomb 1656 find…

Post: # 30684Post electra225 »

The belts in the tape deck may have turned to goo, but they aren't too tough to change. Otherwise it might work right like it is. You can't beat Newcomb for being tough. They are hard to find parts for, in my experience.
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
User avatar
1922VV111
Senior Member
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2025 3:35 am
Location: Near Omaha NE!
Contact:

Re: Newcomb 1656 find…

Post: # 30685Post 1922VV111 »

electra225 wrote: ↑Tue Sep 29, 2026 1:38 am The belts in the tape deck may have turned to goo, but they aren't too tough to change. Otherwise it might work right like it is. You can't beat Newcomb for being tough. They are hard to find parts for, in my experience.
Well I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet so who knows what's going on. It came with some radio spots from the 80s on Reel to Reel, But some are meant to be played at 15ips and other tapes likey recorded with this machine from the 60s. Probably church sermons. One of them was dated 1965. Also has the Mic and Manual too. and this vintage tape head cleaner that hasn't dried out at all.

I assume both the tape deck and turntable likely was used in a church. They take very good care of their equipment.
User avatar
1922VV111
Senior Member
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2025 3:35 am
Location: Near Omaha NE!
Contact:

Re: Newcomb 1656 find…

Post: # 30687Post 1922VV111 »

electra225 wrote: ↑Tue Sep 29, 2026 1:38 am The belts in the tape deck may have turned to goo, but they aren't too tough to change. Otherwise it might work right like it is. You can't beat Newcomb for being tough. They are hard to find parts for, in my experience.
Ok! I plugged in the Webcor and it does seem to work But whatever controls the speed is probably stuck because if you hit play the tape takes right off like it’s in fast forward! So something must be sticking that controls the speed.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests