Tuba Skinny
- electra225
- Site Admin
- Posts: 8981
- Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
- Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
- Contact:
Tuba Skinny
Never heard of this band. Unique would be the right word.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjvBNBe9M0w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjvBNBe9M0w
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
- TC Chris
- Anchor Member
- Posts: 3733
- Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:50 am
- Location: Traverse City, MI
- Contact:
Re: Tuba Skinny
Hey, that's good! The tuba is one of my favorite instruments (the one in the video is technically a Sousaphone). That's what my Dad played in his HS band. Sibelius uses tubas to good effect in his symphonies. Looks like a female trumpeter in that band? God music.
Chris Campbell
Chris Campbell
- electra225
- Site Admin
- Posts: 8981
- Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
- Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Tuba Skinny
Agreed that they are a good band. Like I said, unique.......

Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
- Hydrolastic
- Hero Member
- Posts: 362
- Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:13 am
- Location: Seattle WA USA
- Contact:
Re: Tuba Skinny
Hello, They look cold. And very good
- 19&41
- Global Moderator
- Posts: 1963
- Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:11 pm
- Location: Jonesboro, Georgia
- Contact:
Re: Tuba Skinny
This is the first number I saw of them. I like it about as much as the Ellington version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jft3BVoxqjo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jft3BVoxqjo
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-Arthur C. Clarke
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair
-Arthur C. Clarke
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair
- electra225
- Site Admin
- Posts: 8981
- Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
- Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Tuba Skinny
The more I hear this band, the more I like them. They are a rather ragtag group, not many trombone players wear steel-toed boots while playing a trombone. Nasty, ratty instruments, but, boy those guys can sure toot, no question about that.
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
- TC Chris
- Anchor Member
- Posts: 3733
- Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:50 am
- Location: Traverse City, MI
- Contact:
Re: Tuba Skinny
I sent a link around to family and friends. My brother who lives in VT replied as follows:
"I have had the opportunity to see Tuba Skinny 3 or 4 times and I do love them. At the Old Tones Music Festival I go to yearly in rural New York, I got the wonderful opportunity to play with them. About 8 of us were playing old time tunes with a variety of instruments. I was on Mandolin, two fiddles, a banjo and the rest big brass. We had a ball for several hours. There may have been some moonshine there as well. Wonderful music."
So there you have it--I'm probably the only one here related to somebody who has played with Tuba Skinny. "deleted", I need to get my trombone out.
Chris Campbell
"I have had the opportunity to see Tuba Skinny 3 or 4 times and I do love them. At the Old Tones Music Festival I go to yearly in rural New York, I got the wonderful opportunity to play with them. About 8 of us were playing old time tunes with a variety of instruments. I was on Mandolin, two fiddles, a banjo and the rest big brass. We had a ball for several hours. There may have been some moonshine there as well. Wonderful music."
So there you have it--I'm probably the only one here related to somebody who has played with Tuba Skinny. "deleted", I need to get my trombone out.
Chris Campbell
- electra225
- Site Admin
- Posts: 8981
- Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
- Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Tuba Skinny
I've been sitting here at the computer listening to this band. What a talented bunch of musicians they are. A friend who looks for the unusual music sent me the original link. They outdid themselves on this one, the "Postage Stomp".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VaD1yFarm0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VaD1yFarm0
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
- TC Chris
- Anchor Member
- Posts: 3733
- Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:50 am
- Location: Traverse City, MI
- Contact:
Re: Tuba Skinny
Thank you for posting that. If there's anything that redeems us as a species, it is our inclination to make music. These folks are amply redeemed. Watch the 3 clarinets--aren't they having fun? I watched a few repeats with a huge grin on my face and a bit of dabbing at the eyes.
Chris Campbell
Chris Campbell
- electra225
- Site Admin
- Posts: 8981
- Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
- Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Tuba Skinny
These guys give no regard to form nor fashion. All they are interested in is making good music and having fun. They are addictive. The girl singer who sits on top of the bass drum is something you don't see every day. The middle clarinet player was their normal guy, the other two probably ad-libbed their parts. You have to admire their talent.
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
- TC Chris
- Anchor Member
- Posts: 3733
- Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:50 am
- Location: Traverse City, MI
- Contact:
Re: Tuba Skinny
Oh yes. What a gift to be able to make music in such an effortless (seemingly effortless, that is) way. I've always liked the piano parts in old blues and jazz recordings. Long ago in college one of the Preservation Hall groups was touring and played a show. I had no idea who they were. Top 40 was my thing back then. Wow, did they open my eyes, ears, and brain! And I remember the elderly lady piano player, with those old lady flabby arms, just playing her heart out. Absolute magic.
Chris Campbell
- electra225
- Site Admin
- Posts: 8981
- Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
- Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Tuba Skinny
There was an elderly man who came to our church, Brother Harvey. He wore bib overalls, clodhoppers and was not always bathed and coiffed like one would expect of a church patron in that time. He offered to help with the music service, should anyone be unable to perform their duties. His offer was basically ignored, since it was the opinion of the church elders that not only could Brother Harvey not play an instrument to advantage, he was barely capable of caring for himself. One Sunday morning, Miss Minnie White, the church pianist suddenly took sick to her bed and was unable to attend services. Brother Harvey walked up to the piano, uninvited, positioned himself on the bench and proceeded to play piano like nobody in that church had seldom heard. Turns out that Brother Harvey was a musician from the vaudeville days and was not only proficient, but perhaps could have been considered expert at playing almost any instrument known to man. He was a rather shy man, tossed to the side by society, who still maintained his dignity and his talent.
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
- TC Chris
- Anchor Member
- Posts: 3733
- Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:50 am
- Location: Traverse City, MI
- Contact:
Re: Tuba Skinny
Great story. Don't you wish you had a recorder and an opportunity?
Chris Campbell
Chris Campbell
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests
