Page 3 of 3

Re: Stromberg-Carlson 1121 console

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2025 10:01 pm
by electra225
What we have is a really tinny-sounding record player. I put a new needle in the C-100 cartridge which didn't help matters much. I have the tone arm pressure at 7 grams, a tad heavy perhaps. The thing sounds horrible. I tried several different records, and they all sounded horrible. My next step, after I get the Magnavox stereo off the bench, is to go thru this changer, using a different amp, and make sure the problem isn't in the changer or my wiring. Then I'll remove the chassis from the S-C and see if there is an issue there. Both AM and FM bands sound good. I see the AM band is dead below 700kc, so I need to see what's going on there. I haven't done anything to this chassis is years and years, so it may be time, it may need some TLC.

Re: Stromberg-Carlson 1121 console

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2025 12:17 am
by electra225
I believe my next step will be to remove the chassis for a good tune up. It has a really twitchy tone control, which is contributing to the tinny sound. The drive tire is slipping, which doesn't help.