William Basie had one of the longest lived bands in and out of the big band era. His first band had members of the Bennie Moten orchestra and played mostly locally in Kansas City. They moved on to Chicago in 1936.
An early piece from 1937, Panassie Stomp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOOFrIoRe28
Sometimes Basie would play organ with a small group, such as Goin' To Chicago Blues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCVG0LQD-wk
Here's a piece from the early '50's, Basie Boogie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtvI__7XWQ8
A number from his Neal Hefti period, Cute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiFEGxPeq3g
One of his favorite numbers, April In Paris.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=380nmdr7Je8
Count Basie
- 19&41
- Global Moderator
- Posts: 1967
- Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:11 pm
- Location: Jonesboro, Georgia
- Contact:
Count Basie
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-Arthur C. Clarke
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair
-Arthur C. Clarke
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair
- William
- Global Moderator
- Posts: 5431
- Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:42 pm
- Location: Hart, Michigan
- Contact:
Re: Count Basie
Thanks, Rex. I love watching guys like Basie, Oscar, and Fats Waller play the piano. The make it look so easy, when I know, at least for me it's not.
Bill
Bill
Re: Count Basie
I'm a huge fan of Count Basie and his orchestra.
The way I read it, Basie was doing live broadcasts from Kansas City, and these broadcasts were heard by John Hammond, the famous talent scout for Columbia records. It was John Hammond who brought Basie and his band to the Roseland Ballroom in NYC, and the rest is history.
I've got more Count Basie records than you can shake s stick at, and all 3 speeds.
My favorite Basie album of the LP era is "Chairman of the Board" (1959)
The way I read it, Basie was doing live broadcasts from Kansas City, and these broadcasts were heard by John Hammond, the famous talent scout for Columbia records. It was John Hammond who brought Basie and his band to the Roseland Ballroom in NYC, and the rest is history.
I've got more Count Basie records than you can shake s stick at, and all 3 speeds.
My favorite Basie album of the LP era is "Chairman of the Board" (1959)
- 19&41
- Global Moderator
- Posts: 1967
- Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:11 pm
- Location: Jonesboro, Georgia
- Contact:
Re: Count Basie
Sorry I'd gotten it wrong.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-Arthur C. Clarke
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair
-Arthur C. Clarke
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair
- TC Chris
- Anchor Member
- Posts: 3739
- Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:50 am
- Location: Traverse City, MI
- Contact:
Re: Count Basie
Those first three pieces are especially compelling. What great music. I heard Basie live 2x. The first when I was in college and still in my rock'n'roll phase, but even then I knew I was in the presence of something special.
Chris Campbell
Chris Campbell
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests
