SW radio

Discuss music and media, records, tape, CD's, reel-to-reel, cassettes, whatever. Artists and genre discussions.
Post Reply
User avatar
TC Chris
Anchor Member
Posts: 3734
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:50 am
Location: Traverse City, MI
Contact:

SW radio

Post: # 5912Post TC Chris »

The NYT tells me that the BBC is starting up SW broadcasting to Europe again, specifically to Ukraine. I'll have a listen tonight to see if i can snag a signal. Not sure what their hours are or how directional their transmission.

Chris Campbell
User avatar
electra225
Site Admin
Posts: 8985
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
Contact:

Re: SW radio

Post: # 5914Post electra225 »

Let us know how that works out and the frequency you get the BBC on. I have no idea what frequency they use. How about the Voice of America? Wonder if they are broadcasting out of Ukraine.
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
User avatar
TC Chris
Anchor Member
Posts: 3734
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:50 am
Location: Traverse City, MI
Contact:

Re: SW radio

Post: # 5919Post TC Chris »

I just found this online:

The BBC says its shortwave broadcasts will be available on frequencies of 15735 kHz from 4PM to 6PM and 5875 kHz from 10PM to midnight, Ukraine time. News will be read in English, which the BBC says will be available in Kyiv as well as “parts of Russia.”

Now I've got to figure out the time difference.

Chris Campbell
Firedome
Anchor Member
Posts: 1615
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:21 pm
Location: nowhere
Contact:

Re: SW radio

Post: # 5920Post Firedome »

I read that the VOA is broadcasting to Ukraine via SW from Poland or somewhere outside the country.
User avatar
electra225
Site Admin
Posts: 8985
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
Contact:

Re: SW radio

Post: # 5921Post electra225 »

I read that as well. I used to listen to the Voice of America from the middle east when the Afghan war was going on. They would have reporters in the field, transmitting from equipment they carried to repeaters somewhere. That was fascinating listening. I reckon I'll have to dig a Hallicrafters boat anchor out of storage.
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
User avatar
hermitcrab
Anchor Member
Posts: 1504
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:49 am
Location: Tri Cities Mich
Contact:

Re: SW radio

Post: # 5924Post hermitcrab »

Guess I will pull out the zenith Transoceanic and see what I can hear depending on the time difference
User avatar
TC Chris
Anchor Member
Posts: 3734
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:50 am
Location: Traverse City, MI
Contact:

Re: SW radio

Post: # 5938Post TC Chris »

I tried this afternoon with a digital portable from my office and then from home this evening, without luck. Now it's too late. Maybe tomorrow I'll try a more muscular receiver.

Chris Campbell
User avatar
electra225
Site Admin
Posts: 8985
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
Contact:

Re: SW radio

Post: # 5942Post electra225 »

I have an old Sparton console radio that has a shortwave band on it. I probably need more antenna for shortwave.
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
User avatar
Motorola minion
Anchor Member
Posts: 854
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:23 pm
Location: Central PA
Contact:

Re: SW radio

Post: # 5948Post Motorola minion »

The antenna needed for shortwave 1 (2.3-7 mc) and shortwave 2 (7-18 mc) is simple. Time of day has everything to do with reception. Ukraine is 7-10 hours ahead of USA fortunately, late afternoon and evening to midnight is best SW1 reception. I always seemed to get just as much using 12 feet of wire in the same room, under carpet no less! Unless I was in the basement, not much improved using the recommended length outside :!: YMMV.

Meter band : divide 300 by the frequency and you get quarter-wave antenna length, vertical orientation would be ideal, but only horizontal is practical at required length. Anything less, like a whip antenna on a portable is a compromise, making actual receiver location more critical.

Quarter wave ( lambda/4) antennas are 154 feet for AM band (1.6 mhz), 41 feet for SW1 (6 mc), 20 feet for SW2 (12 mc). 49 meter meter band is a favorite https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=49 ... &FORM=VIRE

Almost 50 years ago, I first experienced SW on a '51 Transoceanic that used the fussy and rare 1L6 tube for the oscillator-converter. The antenna in the T-O was a very long vertical monopole (extra big rabbit ear) seemed to be enough to pull in radio Moscow, which was in English language. That made me wonder: If bothering to translate into English, that alone made it propaganda.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 41 guests