The movies
- TC Chris
- Anchor Member
- Posts: 3733
- Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:50 am
- Location: Traverse City, MI
- Contact:
The movies
My sister sent me a link to this year's "TCM Remembers" short video showing all the movie people who have died over the last year. Many are famous, some less so, but they all are part of the crew who give us wonderful movies that we remember. It lasts just a couple minutes (way too brief, in my view). See if this link works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-OggxFtRLE
Now that I am post-Covid and completely immune (ha! Hope so...) I am going to the movies again and enjoying the miracle of two hours' transportation to another world that those gifted people give us. I always sit through the credits at the end, both to honor those who contributed their skills and because there are sometimes bonuses at the very end. I learned that first at the end of "Blaze," the film based on the life of Earl Long, gov. of LA three times and brother of Huey, and the stripper Blaze Starr. Right at the end after the credits there is a bonus scene. In any event, the number of people it takes to make a movie is astonishing. The results are their gift to us.
Chris Campbell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-OggxFtRLE
Now that I am post-Covid and completely immune (ha! Hope so...) I am going to the movies again and enjoying the miracle of two hours' transportation to another world that those gifted people give us. I always sit through the credits at the end, both to honor those who contributed their skills and because there are sometimes bonuses at the very end. I learned that first at the end of "Blaze," the film based on the life of Earl Long, gov. of LA three times and brother of Huey, and the stripper Blaze Starr. Right at the end after the credits there is a bonus scene. In any event, the number of people it takes to make a movie is astonishing. The results are their gift to us.
Chris Campbell
- William
- Global Moderator
- Posts: 5425
- Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:42 pm
- Location: Hart, Michigan
- Contact:
Re: The movies
Thanks for sharing, Chris, I had no idea that so many had passed this past year.
Bill
Bill
- electra225
- Site Admin
- Posts: 8981
- Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
- Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
- Contact:
Re: The movies
I had no idea that George Maharis and Ryan O'Neal were gone. Most of those people I never heard of.
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
- TC Chris
- Anchor Member
- Posts: 3733
- Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:50 am
- Location: Traverse City, MI
- Contact:
Re: The movies
I used to see those each year when my Mom was alive--when she no longer drove, TCM was a good companion, and at holiday time those little summaries would appear. That one reminds me of what a big deal the movies are.
Chris Campbell
Chris Campbell
- electra225
- Site Admin
- Posts: 8981
- Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
- Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
- Contact:
Re: The movies
The wife and I were talking the other day about movies. She says the last movie we went "out" to see, that we didn't see on TV, was "Love Story" in 1967 or 1968. Ryan O'Neal and Ali McGraw. I thought we went to Harkins one time to see something, but she says not.
I have never seen "Star Wars" or "Jaws" or "Jarassic Park" or "Harry Potter" or any of the "in" movies. I like Hank Fonda and Duke Wayne movies. "My Darling Clementine" comes to mind.

I have never seen "Star Wars" or "Jaws" or "Jarassic Park" or "Harry Potter" or any of the "in" movies. I like Hank Fonda and Duke Wayne movies. "My Darling Clementine" comes to mind.
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
- William
- Global Moderator
- Posts: 5425
- Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:42 pm
- Location: Hart, Michigan
- Contact:
Re: The movies
I think my favorite John Wayne movie is McLintock. Maureen O'Hare was a babe back then and the whole cast made that movie a success, at least IMHO.
Bill
Bill
- electra225
- Site Admin
- Posts: 8981
- Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
- Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
- Contact:
Re: The movies
They never made a bad John Wayne movie. I like some of his WW2 movies and "The Sons Of Katie Elder"...... 
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
- TC Chris
- Anchor Member
- Posts: 3733
- Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:50 am
- Location: Traverse City, MI
- Contact:
Re: The movies
How about the Searchers? Here's something I did not know (except that it's widely admired), from Wikipedia:
"The film was a critical and commercial success. Since its release, it has come to be considered a masterpiece and one of the greatest and most influential films ever made. It was named the greatest American Western by the American Film Institute in 2008, and it placed 12th on the same organization's 2007 list of the 100 greatest American movies of all time.[3] Entertainment Weekly also named it the best Western.[4] The British Film Institute's Sight & Sound magazine ranked it as the seventh-best film of all time based on a 2012 international survey of film critics[5][6] and in 2008, the French magazine Cahiers du Cinéma ranked The Searchers number 10 in their list of the 100 best films ever made.[7]
In 1989, The Searchers was deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" by the United States Library of Congress, and selected for preservation in its National Film Registry; it was one of the first 25 films selected for the registry."
Chris Campbell
"The film was a critical and commercial success. Since its release, it has come to be considered a masterpiece and one of the greatest and most influential films ever made. It was named the greatest American Western by the American Film Institute in 2008, and it placed 12th on the same organization's 2007 list of the 100 greatest American movies of all time.[3] Entertainment Weekly also named it the best Western.[4] The British Film Institute's Sight & Sound magazine ranked it as the seventh-best film of all time based on a 2012 international survey of film critics[5][6] and in 2008, the French magazine Cahiers du Cinéma ranked The Searchers number 10 in their list of the 100 best films ever made.[7]
In 1989, The Searchers was deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" by the United States Library of Congress, and selected for preservation in its National Film Registry; it was one of the first 25 films selected for the registry."
Chris Campbell
- 19&41
- Global Moderator
- Posts: 1966
- Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:11 pm
- Location: Jonesboro, Georgia
- Contact:
Re: The movies
I rented Oppenheimer last evening. The first new movie I have seen since O Brother Where Art Thou. Well worth the price.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-Arthur C. Clarke
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair
-Arthur C. Clarke
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair
- electra225
- Site Admin
- Posts: 8981
- Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm
- Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
- Contact:
Re: The movies
I'd like to see that movie, Rex...
Life can be tough. It can be even tougher if you're stupid.....
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests
