Newcomb TR-16A platter wanted

Items for sale, wanted and to trade belong here. No commercial ads, please.
Forum rules
For Sale (FS), Wanted to buy (WTB) and for trade (FT) items go here. Please indicate by editing the topic title or by posting when the item is sold or found. Then ask a moderator to lock the topic. No commercial ads, please.
electra225
Site Admin

Newcomb TR-16A platter wanted

Mine wobbles. Anybody got one?
A good leader is someone who can tell you where to go, and make you look forward to the trip.

Never allow someone who has done nothing to advise you on anything.
tasar

Re: Newcomb TR-16A turntable wanted

TR 25 do it for you.... difference being the 25 is integrated with power supply ? Anyway, got one.
6147757C-633E-4F18-9464-FCFDF7941B15.jpeg
electra225
Site Admin

Re: Newcomb TR-16A turntable wanted

I just need the platter, not the whole thing. I may not have been clear about that. Thank you for your response.

My platter came off one time when I loaned it to a friend. It dropped on concrete and messed up the center where it goes over the spindle. Now it wobbles like a warped record.
A good leader is someone who can tell you where to go, and make you look forward to the trip.

tasar

Re: Newcomb TR-16A platter wanted

Understood ! Good luck with your search.
electra225
Site Admin

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'd like to go thru the old Newcomb and play some 78's. The one I have was my dad's. My platter is not repairable.

hermitcrab
Anchor Member

did radio stations use these?... they look like they can handle the odd ball sized records , like 16 " and larger?
electra225
Site Admin

I don't know whether radio stations used them or not. They are generally considered a school player, used in schools in the A-V departments. Dad bought the one I have new. He called square dances and held barn dances. I started using it when I was five, playing records for dad. Mine has a GE VR cartridge, and is four speed. Mine will play 16" transcription records, as will the one in this topic.

tasar

Not sure of the 16 model but my 24 photoed above os packaged like a suitcase and has two very long tethered and bullet proof "satellite" 12" speakers for staging wherever. Yes barnyard and school users, radio stations were definitely upscale from here with the likes of Crown recorders and the like. Only trouble with these Newcombe is the needle and arm architecture... pretty "heavy duty" with only a "normal" and "light" weighting system.... read that HEAVY ! They will take the larger platters and excel there over the smaller radius 45 ! Mine has been merrily playing thru the venerable EV Wolverine for many years. I've also imputed the PP 6V6 power supply with 1/8" analog auxiliary. Because of gain one can dial back sets volume control and input device for VERY respectable audio !
tasar

Photo of my Newcomb EV HiFi...I should make this available as I have two !!
AECE0362-A532-4E22-9E56-E875ADB0FE93.jpeg
electra225
Site Admin

I like it! The old Newcomb I have has a 12" speaker that makes part of the cabinet when it's put together. IT looks very similar to yours, only it's older, I suspect. I really don't know the lineage of Newcomb equipment. We had a second 12" speaker that we had made up in a plain plywood box to use with it. That thing puts out a lot of sound. Mine has P-P 6V6 output. The two appear to be quite similar.

TC Chris
Anchor Member

tasar wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:04 pm Photo of my Newcomb EV HiFi...I should make this available as I have two !!
AECE0362-A532-4E22-9E56-E875ADB0FE93.jpeg

Surrounded by all sorts of cool stuff!!

Chris Campbell
William
Global Moderator

Mr. Tasar. If I might ask, what's the second Newcomb sitting on? It looks like some kind of speaker but it has knobs? Is that part of the Newcomb?

Thanks,
Bill
tasar

Sorry Bill just saw your post. You see part of the turntable case with crows feet knobs for Volume tone etc. There is an integrated tube amplifier within the case so a complete audio/phono player, no outside audio devices necessary.
tasar

As a followup Bill. The player sits on an Electrovoice speaker which has the two TV-like knob crossover controls. One attenuates output balance between woofer and two horn drivers, while the other controls hi frequency output sharing between the mid and tweeter horns.
TC Chris
Anchor Member

I can tell that Newcomb is new-fangled. Why, in my day, school players were black. They usually had a large speaker in the lid that you'd set up, aimed at the audience. There was a big turntable, as I remember them, suitable for playing big transcription discs. As a grade school kid I was fascinated by the one in the gym/auditorium. I have an unlabeled amp from one of them, snagged from the discard pile of the school system electronics guy who had his shop in our high school. It has P-P 6V6 outputs and two inputs, one for phone and one for mic, each with its own level control. I built a rough case for it and for a while my brother's buddy used the mic input to play his lap steel guitar (the input had lots of gain). Seems to me it has some high-grade capacitors, not the usual wax and paper devices. It's out in the garage. I need to excavate far enough to retrieve it and check out those caps. I've always wondered who built it.

And veering back onto topic, Greg, what's the problem with your platter? It can't be repaired?

Chris Campbell
electra225
Site Admin

The platter is mounted to the spindle by a three-wing hub with the platter riveted to the hub. Somehow, when it got dropped, the platter broke loose from the hub. I took the platter to a machine shop and they tried to straighten it and then bolt the hub to the platter. It's better, but it still wobbles so much the music has wow and flutter to the extreme. It wobbles up and down and sideways. I need another platter. I don't see any other damage except to the platter. The case is pretty tough. Just Tolex covering plywood. I keep saying dad bought it in 1953, but it's probably more like 1955. I would have been too young to run it in 1953 and dad never did run it.

William
Global Moderator

Thanks Mr. Tasar. I kind of thought that was an EV speaker. Looking around your photo it looks like you have some nice stuff there. If I might ask, what's behind the Newcomb that is sitting on the EV speaker? It looks like glass with a radio dial?

Bill
tasar

Ahhhhh thought someone might ask. First off, the speaker is the EV Wolverine model.... quite rare Cabinet, I've been looking for a second many years.
That "glass" is chrome cover of a McMurdo Silver Masterpiece 6, famous for its Super Giant 18" duo cone driver. This radio sits as intended atop a cabinet like jewelry. I sourced a 47 Crosley phonograph and gutted the wood horn to house the PP6L6 power supply on end to make room ! The audio quality is second to none. Sorry don't know how the photos get rotated 🤔
FF5DADC3-C028-4BBE-AB0E-6E1BD3D3C9C6.jpeg
B498260C-88CC-4605-B80E-820B7BB4992E.jpeg
53E3681E-22B2-4155-B83A-D5E4833E5807.jpeg
William
Global Moderator

Mr. Tasar. This is a radio I have never heard of and maybe there are others like me. I think we should continue this discussion, but place it in the Radios board so it will be easier to remember where it is.

Bill
tasar

Agreed Bill, it's off subject and unfair to the original intent of this ad.... May the moderator due as seen fit !