Page 1 of 1

Chill Wills And The Avalon Boys

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:57 am
by 19&41
If you've ever seen the movie Way Out West with Laurel and Hardy, You might remember them dancing to At The Ball. That's All by this group. Here's another recording of them in the opening of This Hopalong Cassidy film. It's too bad there are too few recordings of them. They had such an original sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxZa7Kd ... NevadaJane

Re: Chill Wills And The Avalon Boys

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:25 am
by electra225
They are a blend of the Sons of the Pioneers and Slim Whitman. I didn't know Chill Wills ever sang. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Chill Wills And The Avalon Boys

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:43 am
by TC Chris
Well, I'm not going to say "thanks for sharing." I clicked on the link and ended up watching the whole movie! Technically, I had better things to do. But no, watched the whole thing. Haven't seem Hopalong Cassidy in years. YouTube can be so seductive.

Chris Campbell

Re: Chill Wills And The Avalon Boys

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:48 am
by electra225
I watched the whole thing as well. I don't remember having seen it. I was impressed with how good of condition that old movie was in. I wonder if it had been cleaned up via computer at some point.

Re: Chill Wills And The Avalon Boys

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:40 am
by 19&41
I think they were all restored by the "US Television Service" about 2002.

Re: Chill Wills And The Avalon Boys

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:46 am
by 19&41
Here they are with Stan and Ollie in Way Out West. Don't worry, it's just a clip, you won't get dragged in. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSkDpzz6DHs

Re: Chill Wills And The Avalon Boys

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:42 pm
by TC Chris
Now I will say "Thanks for sharing." That's one of my favorite movie scenes ever. I'm wiping my eyes. There's a wonderful 2018 movie about Laurel & Hardy, Stand and Ollie." You can probably stream it now; I got to se it in a good theater on a big screen. Read about it here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_%26_Ollie

Most movie comedies leave me cold. They aren't funny. But Laurel & Hardy make me roar. Same with Woody Allen, although he's out in the cold these days.

Chris Campbell

Re: Chill Wills And The Avalon Boys

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:04 pm
by hermitcrab
Not to hi-jack the post... but anyone know what Laurel and Hardy movie had them singing back home on the Farm in Michigan?... saw it once, never found it again.. was interested where that song came from...

Re: Chill Wills And The Avalon Boys

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:42 pm
by William
Try this, Elton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws1RuK2lZT8

The movie was their first full length picture and was filmed in 1931. It was called "Pardon Us".

Bill

Re: Chill Wills And The Avalon Boys

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:22 pm
by hermitcrab
Thanks Bill I couldn't remember the title ... Irving Berlin wrote it...

Re: Chill Wills And The Avalon Boys

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:07 pm
by William
Thanks, Elton, I did not know that! Berlin was one of the great composers.

Bill

Re: Chill Wills And The Avalon Boys

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:26 am
by hermitcrab
Here is a clear version where you can hear the lyrics better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CQUnm4aSPM

Re: Chill Wills And The Avalon Boys

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:22 am
by TC Chris
Irving Berlin, who wrote many of the songs that we consider quintessentially American, was an immigrant. So much of our most memorable music was written by immigrants or children of immigrants. This has been on my mind lately because of of my most memorable professors just died. His writings were responsible for the Miranda warnings, among other things. He was the child of immigrants, a brilliant, devoted, wonderful man and a giant in his field. He rated his own NYT obit. It pointed out:

As a platoon leader [in Korea], Lieutenant Kamisar entered the fighting just as the Chinese Army was pushing back against early gains made by the Americans and their allies. In one battle, he led a successful charge up what American soldiers called T-Bone Hill, in front of his men and in the face of enemy fire. He was wounded in the fighting and received the Purple Heart, along with several medals for bravery.

I did not know that when I sat in his class, but it just fits him: bold, leading out in front, doing the right thing.

Chris Campbell