You Are My Sunshine
Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2025 4:53 am
I went to a concert by the Don Julin trio tonight. He's a mandolin virtuoso. My brother, who plays "old time" mandolin, thinks he's the best. Julin lives here and my brother has been urging me to hear him for years now. This was in a small new performing space--not a bar.
I'd call it a jazz trio. They were all top-flight musicians and seemed to be having a ball playing with each other and improvising.
Don Julin - Mandolin; Tom Knific - Bass; Hayes Griffin - Guitar.
One of the tunes started off abstractly. Eventually toward the end it was recognizable as "You Are My Sunshine." and the audience began singing along. He let us end it a capella. It was a remarkable moment. Yay for Gov. Jimmie Davis. I've always had a weak spot for that song. Same for everybody else, apparently, because we were all singing along on the last lines.
Chris Campbell
I'd call it a jazz trio. They were all top-flight musicians and seemed to be having a ball playing with each other and improvising.
Don Julin - Mandolin; Tom Knific - Bass; Hayes Griffin - Guitar.
One of the tunes started off abstractly. Eventually toward the end it was recognizable as "You Are My Sunshine." and the audience began singing along. He let us end it a capella. It was a remarkable moment. Yay for Gov. Jimmie Davis. I've always had a weak spot for that song. Same for everybody else, apparently, because we were all singing along on the last lines.
Chris Campbell