Page 1 of 1
Restoring an old Hi Fi console: what's involved?
Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:55 am
by dave1138
From my website, here's a step by step restoration of a Westinghouse console:
https://technosaurus.neocities.org/West ... /index.htm.
I restored the amp and tuner and Hi-Fi-Mogul did the changer restoration.
More of my projects here:
https://technosaurus.neocities.org
Re: Restoring an old Hi Fi console: what's involved?
Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:22 am
by TC Chris
Nice photos of cool radios.
Chris Campbell
Re: Restoring an old Hi Fi console: what's involved?
Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:03 pm
by William
Nice job, Dave. The copper colored chassis in the Westinghouse reminds me of Motorola chassis. I bet it sounds great. Thanks for sharing your site and work.
Bill
Re: Restoring an old Hi Fi console: what's involved?
Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:13 pm
by electra225
There was a lot of work involved in your presentation, with plenty of good information. Thanks for sharing, Dave!
Re: Restoring an old Hi Fi console: what's involved?
Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:41 pm
by hermitcrab
nice job !... nice little console!
Re: Restoring an old Hi Fi console: what's involved?
Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:01 pm
by Motorola minion
Nice pictures and step by step disassembly. This Westinghouse is a great example of a worthy restoration.
Re: Restoring an old Hi Fi console: what's involved?
Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:46 pm
by SeniorSteve
Dave1138, excellent job of documenting the process. Very nicely done!
I enjoyed reading through the entire thread.
Steve
Re: Restoring an old Hi Fi console: what's involved?
Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:48 pm
by 19&41
That's just the presentation that a novice needs to see! Nice work.
Re: Restoring an old Hi Fi console: what's involved?
Posted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:30 pm
by back-2-mono
"You Can Be Sure If It's Westinghouse"
Nice job Dave. Look's great!
B2M
Re: Restoring an old Hi Fi console: what's involved?
Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:48 pm
by Motorola minion
I liked the Westinghouse presentation. Keep up the good work. I really liked the testing of the transformers.
As a kid, I had the guts of a Motorola SK32, three channel 6BQ5 amp. Thought it sounded great but only recently discovered after pulling the amp out of my spare parts, the center channel had open winding on primary side of the OPT

no wonder I did not witness the full effect and blow the 10" TV speaker I was using on it.
We all have slightly differing methods and I have found that depending on how neglected a record player is or how cooked a chassis can be, its different things that need attention, even on the same models. Other than bad caps, there don't seem to be many Deja vu moments on my bench, odd as that sounds.
Re: Restoring an old Hi Fi console: what's involved?
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:02 pm
by Hydrolastic
Hello Dave. I love your website! I already had it bookmarked and the "dinosaur"! Love your Tv's that philaharmonic is awesome or the 55 zenith, The blackdial zenith collection is fantastic. So glad your here I will be bugging you guys when I try to get the magnavox Continental going. The Sterorama has quit so only one of the consoles is running now. Hydro
Re: Restoring an old Hi Fi console: what's involved?
Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:52 pm
by dave1138
Thanks, building the website was fun and a good way share information on restorations.
I learned a lot over the years on various antique electronics sites just from reading and got through
some tough problems by asking more experienced members. Help here is dispensed freely just for asking, so
feel free to ask anything. We were all new once so there are no dumb questions.