The Sparklers
Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:40 am
I have an old Lawrence Welk Christmas album, "Merry Christmas From Lawrence Welk", on Coral, the cut-rate sidekick label to Decca records. There are two or three selections on the record that lists the singers on the track as "The Sparklers". This is a new one on me. I can't seem to find anything on the Internet about this group. This record is from the 1955-1956 era. Another selection says the artists are "Larry, Dean, and The Sparklers". "Larry" is Larry Hooper. Dean is a mystery. I thought I was up on my LW history, but I guess you never stop learning. There is also a track featuring the Lennon Sisters. This must be one of their earliest recordings. I thought Jo Ann Castle and the Lennon Sisters joined LW in 1959. Anybody? 
Edit....Wikipedia says the Lennon Sisters joined LW in 1955. Jo Ann Castle joined in 1959. I learned something....
DeeDee is 84, Peggy is 82, Kathy is 80, Janet is 77....Do you feel old now? Wow....

Edit 2....It is not "Larry, Dean..." on the record label. It must say Larry Dean. He was a singer on the show, starting in 1956. I have heard of him, but am not familiar with him. This puts this record in the 1956 era.. Interesting....Larry Hooper is also featured on the album, hence my reference to him singing with the Sparklers.
Edit....Wikipedia says the Lennon Sisters joined LW in 1955. Jo Ann Castle joined in 1959. I learned something....
DeeDee is 84, Peggy is 82, Kathy is 80, Janet is 77....Do you feel old now? Wow....
Edit 2....It is not "Larry, Dean..." on the record label. It must say Larry Dean. He was a singer on the show, starting in 1956. I have heard of him, but am not familiar with him. This puts this record in the 1956 era.. Interesting....Larry Hooper is also featured on the album, hence my reference to him singing with the Sparklers.