VM-570 and it's Sonotone 8t cartridge.

Discussions about Voice Of Music (VM) consoles, tube and solid state, stereo and mono.
William
Global Moderator

VM-570 and it's Sonotone 8t cartridge.

I have been working on my VM-570 record player and am in the finishing up stages so final voltage tests, etc. and changer lube job. I have the changer up on the bench looking things over when I notice the needle in the cartridge is missing. This thing came from the factory with a Sonotone 8t cartridge. Before ordering up a needle I thought I would ask if anyone is familiar with the Sonotone 8t cartridge?? Sound quality, longevity, that kind of thing. Thanks in advance.

Bill
electra225
Site Admin

Re: VM-570 and it's Sonotone 8t cartridge.

The Magnavox record player I redid the Tolex on has a Sonotone 2-T cartridge. Referring to Gary's site, the 8-T appears to me like a stereo version of the mono 2-T. That being the case, and knowing how nice the 2-T sounds, I'd say you should be well-satisfied with how it sounds if it is in good condition, which, unfortunately, you may not be able to determine until you replace the needle. Good luck! :D :D
A good leader is someone who can tell you where to go, and make you look forward to the trip.

Never allow someone who has done nothing to advise you on anything.
Hi-Fi-Mogul
Anchor Member

Bill,
The Sonotone 8-T is a good cartridge, but it definitely has
a finite lifespan.

I have run across many of them in players, but 90 % had at least
one bad channel, or none working.

If yours is working, feel fortunate !
Hi-Fi-Mogul
TC Chris
Anchor Member

my mono Emerson portable had been updated with a Sonotone, likely an 8T, before I got it. Sounded good to me. They were well regarded cartridges in their day but seems to me I read that their rubber components were not long-lived.

Chris Campbell
William
Global Moderator

Thank you, I hate to spend the money on a needle only to find out the cartridge is bad been there done that. My Magnavox Berkshire had its original Shure cartridge, bought a new needle only to find out the cartridge didn't sound good. :cry: :cry: Unfortunately, the 2t and 8t take different needles which is a bummer as I have two used 2t needles that I have kept from other projects that I could have used for testing purposes.

Bill
electra225
Site Admin

Are they enough alike that you could kluge one in for testing purposes?
A good leader is someone who can tell you where to go, and make you look forward to the trip.

William
Global Moderator

The Sonotone 2t is shorter than the 8t so it won't reach pickup bridge. According to Gary, stereo needles are longer than mono needles, it has something to do with the angle needed for stereo records.

Bill
hermitcrab
Anchor Member

That is where an oscilloscope or one of those new small hand held oscilloscopes comes in handy... they could tell you instantly if it is passing a signal by probing each side of the cartridge , but a low volt AC VOM should be able to do the same when you rub a finger on the rubber bridge a simple go or no go test ...but the sound quality of the cart is something your only going to find out with a new stylus.
William
Global Moderator

Coming back to this thread, I did get a new needle and when I went to install it, I noticed the spring steel needle retainer was missing. Someone must have used a crowbar trying to install a needle, as it would be difficult to bust the needle retainer just following the instructions given. I should have noticed it from the get-go, but the retainer is black, and the bottom of the cartridge is black, and my eyes are not what they once were.

Since I really wanted to hear what my VM-570 sounded like with its original cartridge, but now that is not going to happen, I need to find a replacement. Gary's site suggests a Pfanstiehl P132 with a 0.5 volt rating. The Sonotone 8T had a 0.30 volt rating. I guess my question is, will that voltage difference have an effect on the sound? Does voltage increase/decrease effect bass and treble? I know very little about cartridges and how they were matched to different consoles back in the day, so any advice would be appreciated and thank you for your help.

Bill
electra225
Site Admin

I'd think an increase in cartridge voltage would be better, but then what do I know? Good luck with however this turns out. You are Mr. VM, so it will be fine, I'm sure of that...... ;) :D

Hi-Fi-Mogul
Anchor Member

That voltage difference should not matter.

I've replaced many 8-T's with the P-226/228s.
Hi-Fi-Mogul
electra225
Site Admin

Was the frequency response, particularly the bass, as good with the Pfanstiehl cartridge?

TC Chris
Anchor Member

William wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:24 pm Coming back to this thread, I did get a new needle and when I went to install it, I noticed the spring steel needle retainer was missing. Someone must have used a crowbar trying to install a needle, as it would be difficult to bust the needle retainer just following the instructions given.
Couldn't you engineer a work-around for the missing retainer, so you could hear the original cartridge, at least temporarily? If nothing else, you could glue it in place at the point where the retainer was (of course, if it's a turnover, you'd have to make a microgroove/78 choice).

Chris Campbell
William
Global Moderator

Thanks guys.

Chris, I have an idea that I'm going to try just to see if it works, I will keep you posted.

Mr. Mogul, when you go to Gary's site and look at the Sonotone 8T it states not available but there is a spot to click on that takes you to the P-132 with a note from Gary stating that the P-132 and the P-226, and P-228 are the same cartridge, with another note that states the P-228 has a longer needle that makes the voltage output higher. I remember Gary telling me awhile back that needle length on needles will increase output voltage. I have no clue, so I just take him at his word.

Bill
Hi-Fi-Mogul
Anchor Member

William wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:48 pm
A note from Gary stating that the P-132 and the P-226, and P-228 are the same cartridge, with another note that states the P-228 has a longer needle that makes the voltage output higher.

I remember Gary telling me awhile back that needle length will increase output voltage.
I have no clue, so I just take him at his word.
Bill
Yes, all those are the same cart.
Gary or Pfanstiehl or both worked to make a longer stylus to boost
the output of the P-228 to 0.8 V versus 0.5 V using the
shorter needle.

I have in fact confirmed this, by doing a comparison test.
In fact, I did the test with the RCA 7-HF-5 I posted about.
Hi-Fi-Mogul
Hi-Fi-Mogul
Anchor Member

electra225 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:09 pm Was the frequency response, particularly the bass, as good with the Pfanstiehl cartridge?
There was no way to tell, since the 8-T cart was not functional.

With some hi-fi's I could compare their original cartridge to a Pfanstiehl.
Due to their particular amp design, some sound better, some sound the same,
some have better bass, some have less bass with the Pfanstiehl.
Also the speaker complement, cabinet design play a role, I imagine.
Hi-Fi-Mogul
William
Global Moderator

Hi-Fi-Mogul wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:53 am
William wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:48 pm
A note from Gary stating that the P-132 and the P-226, and P-228 are the same cartridge, with another note that states the P-228 has a longer needle that makes the voltage output higher.

I remember Gary telling me awhile back that needle length will increase output voltage.
I have no clue, so I just take him at his word.
Bill
Yes, all those are the same cart.
Gary or Pfanstiehl or both worked to make a longer stylus to boost
the output of the P-228 to 0.8 V versus 0.5 V using the
shorter needle.

I have in fact confirmed this, by doing a comparison test.
In fact, I did the test with the RCA 7-HF-5 I posted about.
Thanks Mr. Mogul, and you pretty much stated word for word what Gary told me about needle length. I find it interesting that Gary is so committed to his business and our needs that he worked with Pfanstiehl to develop a higher output cartridge.

I posted a long time ago, and Greg mentioned it not too long ago, about my Magnavox Berkshire and its original Shure cartridge. This was a case of I was so hoping for a good cartridge, but it was not in the cards. I was fortunate, the Shure was not dead, it just had a fuzzy sound to it, so I was able to hear what it sounded like as far as frequency range goes. I can also tell you that the Shure was definitely a better sounding cartridge than the Pfanstiehl P-226 replacement that Gary recommended. Not his fault, and it is what it is and I'm grateful that I have a working Magnavox Berkshire.

Bill
Ken Doyle

The shorter cantilever produces higher output.
Hi-Fi-Mogul
Anchor Member

Yes, Ken is correct. I forgot it was a shortened stylus.

https://thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/par ... ategories=
Hi-Fi-Mogul
William
Global Moderator

Well, I guess I had that backwards, thanks Ken and Mr. Mogul.

Bill