Page 1 of 1
The Christmas Song
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:54 pm
by 19&41
You'll probably hear Nat King Cole's version of this many times this year. Here's a rendition by the man who originated it, with Judy Garland.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaEedtRHklg
Re: The Christmas Song
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:16 pm
by walyfd
And he wrote it lying by the pool in sunny California in June or July!
Mel was like the male version of Ella. Super talented and blessed with such a great voice but, in today's "talent", would they have made it big?
Re: The Christmas Song
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:31 pm
by Firedome
Mel was known as "The Golden Fog"... such a great voice.
BTW found a better, ie; more Classic, online source of seasonal music: RadioTunes "Classic Christmas".
Much better than I Heart Radio's facsimile, which gets more sucky every year.
Re: The Christmas Song
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:35 pm
by back-2-mono
Sorry Dome..."The Velvet Fog"
Re: The Christmas Song
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:12 am
by electra225
Was TV video really that bad in 1963 or has the tape deteriorated with time?
Rex, when I saw the title "The Christmas Song" I was expecting The Chipmunks......

Re: The Christmas Song
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:28 am
by 19&41
That was a kinescope of either a live broadcast or a videotape, likely for the armed forces radio and television service. I remember Dave and the boys doing their version of the Christmas song.
Re: The Christmas Song
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:53 am
by walyfd
I think that was from the Judy Garland TV show. The kids are Lorna and Joe Luft.
Re: The Christmas Song
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:36 am
by 19&41
I'm sure you're correct. For AFRTS distribution, the programs needed to be on film, so even if the program were taped, it would need to have been kinescoped.
Re: The Christmas Song
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:24 pm
by Firedome
Velvet, of course... dangerous to rely on memory when in your 70s.