Page 1 of 1

Count Basie

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:26 pm
by 19&41
William Basie had one of the longest lived bands in and out of the big band era. His first band had members of the Bennie Moten orchestra and played mostly locally in Kansas City. They moved on to Chicago in 1936.

An early piece from 1937, Panassie Stomp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOOFrIoRe28

Sometimes Basie would play organ with a small group, such as Goin' To Chicago Blues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCVG0LQD-wk

Here's a piece from the early '50's, Basie Boogie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtvI__7XWQ8

A number from his Neal Hefti period, Cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiFEGxPeq3g

One of his favorite numbers, April In Paris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=380nmdr7Je8

Re: Count Basie

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:16 pm
by William
Thanks, Rex. I love watching guys like Basie, Oscar, and Fats Waller play the piano. The make it look so easy, when I know, at least for me it's not.

Bill

Re: Count Basie

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:01 pm
by Ken Doyle
I'm a huge fan of Count Basie and his orchestra.

The way I read it, Basie was doing live broadcasts from Kansas City, and these broadcasts were heard by John Hammond, the famous talent scout for Columbia records. It was John Hammond who brought Basie and his band to the Roseland Ballroom in NYC, and the rest is history.

I've got more Count Basie records than you can shake s stick at, and all 3 speeds.

My favorite Basie album of the LP era is "Chairman of the Board" (1959)
chairman.jpg
chairman.jpg (116.28 KiB) Viewed 1025 times

Re: Count Basie

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:28 pm
by 19&41
Sorry I'd gotten it wrong.

Re: Count Basie

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:36 am
by TC Chris
Those first three pieces are especially compelling. What great music. I heard Basie live 2x. The first when I was in college and still in my rock'n'roll phase, but even then I knew I was in the presence of something special.

Chris Campbell