VM 853 console

Discussions about Voice Of Music (VM) consoles, tube and solid state, stereo and mono.
Motorola minion
Anchor Member

VM 853 console

I just had a call from a new customer (referred via local Record Connection) who wants her Grandma's console restored. This model was a 1963, but the VM website lists as 1962, selling for $260 new.

From the conversation it was being used recently so, I am assuming a recap and record player (VM 1200 series) phono wheel, stylus etc. Thanks to Firedome, I have the same tuner and changer as spares :P , so I was pretty sure I could do the job.

I pulled Sams 667 - 10 and confirmed the restoration will be comparable to two lower-priced 6BQ5SE Mag consoles in my shop right now. The schematic did not include the stereo tuner.

This was a popular model for V-M.
V-M 853.png
V-M 853.png (406.88 KiB) Viewed 2289 times
Firedome
Anchor Member

Re: VM 853 console

I'd forgotten all about that V-M... good luck with the restore Dave!
electra225
Site Admin

Is the tuner full stereo or does it use a Multiplex adapter?
A good leader is someone who can tell you where to go, and make you look forward to the trip.

Never allow someone who has done nothing to advise you on anything.
William
Global Moderator

As far as I know, VM did not have a MPX adaptor. Their tuners were either mono or stereo.

Dave, is this single ended, or PP?

Bill
Motorola minion
Anchor Member

I have the spare tuner and it appears to have on-board mpx. The tube chart shows 19 kc pilot and 38 kc doubler adjust coils.
electra225
Site Admin

Got it. Thanks, Dave.
A good leader is someone who can tell you where to go, and make you look forward to the trip.

Never allow someone who has done nothing to advise you on anything.
Motorola minion
Anchor Member

William wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:10 am As far as I know, VM did not have a MPX adaptor. Their tuners were either mono or stereo.

Dave, is this single ended, or PP?

Bill
I missed your post before sending my last. This stereo amp is a single-ended 6BQ5
William
Global Moderator

That's what I thought, Dave, thanks!

Bill
Motorola minion
Anchor Member

This unit was a very easy restoration. The player had a still-good Euphonics U2 ceramic cart but needed lots of degunking and an idler pulley. I played it all last week on my office console, a Motorola SK112 with twice as many tubes as the V-M, to be sure all was functional and sounded good on even worn records.

The amp got all its electrolytic caps replaced and the multiplex tuner (model 1465) needed cleaning, two electros, one paper cap and at last, a 6C4 tube was gassy. The bill was reasonable and close to the fair asking price for a restored model, considering its not highly-desirable furniture otherwise.

I delivered and reassembled the console in about an hour and the customer had two LP records of her grandma's, ones I am also familiar with like Jackie Gleason's Orchestra and Billy Vaughn.
These fine old sounds really highlighted how good this unit really sounds. She was going to the local used record store right after I was done, the same place that referred her to me. :P

Too bad many of these get gutted for the amplifier alone but leaving matched speakers behind, it will not sound as good with less-efficient speakers. .
William
Global Moderator

I have one of those gutted consoles, and it's a VM to boot. Speakers and changer are there, but the amp and controls are missing. It does not look like the optional tuner was ever installed. It's model 809 and looks like this:

https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/popup_p ... &TITLE=809

Someday, I hope to find the correct amp and controls. I have seen them on eBay but I'm not willing to pay the asking price.

Bill
TC Chris
Anchor Member

William wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:11 pm I have one of those gutted consoles, and it's a VM to boot. Speakers and changer are there, but the amp and controls are missing.
Someday, I hope to find the correct amp and controls. I have seen them on eBay but I'm not willing to pay the asking price.
It's a handsome device, for sure. One option, at least on a temporary basis, is substitution.... find an old receiver and drop it in to give the speakers some exercise and your ears some joy.

Chris Campbell
William
Global Moderator

Thanks, Chris. It's in storage in my pole barn right now since I have had no luck finding something that will fit. :(

Bill
Motorola minion
Anchor Member

That amp may be harder to find but I will look. I have the original player and stereo tuner I could mail you tomorrow!
William
Global Moderator

Wow, Dave, you have the changer and tuner. How did you end up with that and not the rest? Console/amp robbers? Being cheap, it maybe some time before I find the amp at a reasonable price.

Bill
Motorola minion
Anchor Member

William wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:33 am Wow, Dave, you have the changer and tuner. How did you end up with that and not the rest? Console/amp robbers? Being cheap, it maybe some time before I find the amp at a reasonable price.

Bill
The amp had gone elsewhere and I did not see what it came out of. I just grabbed the tuner and changer while it was available. I have two 1465 tuners actually, both stereo. One of them is in a tolex-covered metal case, it was sold as a separate component. That last one was left behind at Kutztown's swap meet two months ago. Let me know your ideas but I would find an amp like a Zenith 5B29, Silvertone or RCA with SE 6BQ5 that has its preamp/controls built-in, not in the tuner chassis.
William
Global Moderator

Thanks Dave. According to Gary at VM, my VM console had a separate amp that sat in the bottom of the cabinet and a kind of preamp control center that was top side next to the changer. The tuner would have been a separate component that mounted next to the controls and just plugged into those controls. Each company did things "their" way, and for all of us in this hobby that is a good thing. Like cars, if all were the same it would be boring.

Bill
Motorola minion
Anchor Member

The amp in the 853 and tuner drop-in from the topside. The selector-volume-tone controls are built in and included a 6EU7 on a small PC board, fully shielded all around, even the bottom of the amp had a stout, ventilated cover.

The amp itself looked awesome fully shielded and very neat layout of OPTs, power trans and tubes. So I understand its appeal as a separate component.