Great Scott

Discussions about radios and tuners. Do you have an old radio that is giving you fits? This is the place to talk about them, along with stand-alone radio tuners, tube and solid state, stereo and mono.
tasar

Great Scott

Today was a good one for inside jobs, none better than a family piece from day one !
It's 1947, dad's flush with money (no babies yet) and FM is big news. "Got to be a Scott", as I was always told. As luck would have it dad had a close friend who ordered a full blown Scott 800b console, receiver, phonograph, and TV !
Old photos have never emerged over the years so nothing to share.
After the TV failed and the new family was pressed for space, the big box had to go. Dad grabbed a 47 GE TV cabinet from the family shop, and produced this.
IMG_1202.jpeg
If you look, the power supply is topside, dad liked the look and frankly did not want to cut into the cabinet floor to accommodate. Over my stewardship years, I've rebuilt this set and of course the pickled oak look had to go. Today, I pulled everything for a good cleaning.
IMG_0534.jpeg
Guys over at the "big shot" forum and even Scott fans have dissed this set ad nauseam. "Boat anchor", my rear ended. There were some circuit hiccups such as to the tone stack, it this is an electromechanical wonder with tuning motor drive and presets. Did I mention FM. I was always told the 800b was the very first manufactured radio sporting FM. I can't verify, let's call it rumor.Over the years I've made Improvements to the tone stack and replaced the paltry original coax driver with a 15" EV workhorse and tweeter. Most important was dropping the cabinet floor so all resides within. As pre 50 radios go, and as equipped, the family 800 rivals or bests any set I've had ! Unusual is the chassis layout arrangement. A stout PP6L6 PS sharing the FM IF section. I I've the engineers a pass as the original cabinet bay forced 2 more narrow chassis. Anyway all cleaned and back together outdoing the noise of Lake Michigan today !!
IMG_0545.jpeg
IMG_0547.jpeg
IMG_0554.jpeg
IMG_0551.jpeg
William
Global Moderator

Re: Great Scott

Thanks for sharing, Dave. Wow, that is a lot of chrome to keep polished and as a family heirloom I presume it is a keeper. The closest thing to your Scott that I have seen in person and heard was an EH Scott that belonged to a person I had as a client. We talked one day about hobbies, and he told me he was into vintage radios and invited me over to see his collection. Of course, I went and that is when I discovered his Scott and got to hear it along with all the rest of his collection.

Bill
electra225
Site Admin

Very impressive, Dave! Thanks for sharing.... :D
A good leader is someone who can tell you where to go, and make you look forward to the trip.

Never allow someone who has done nothing to advise you on anything.
TC Chris
Anchor Member

tasar wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:14 am
Guys over at the "big shot" forum and even Scott fans have dissed this set ad nauseam. "Boat anchor", my rear ended.
It's always best to ignore those who waste their time disparaging others' finds. Yeah, it's helpful to know what a unit's deficiencies are, or what the typical problems are, but devices don't have to be perfect to be fun.

If it makes you feel better, my only E. H. Scott is a model 510, a bit later and after sale of the company, and the bloviators really diss that one. Mine was a house sale find in a vast custom cabinet that I simply had no room for. It had a Lincoln disc-flipping changer with lots of hard, irreplaceable rubber parts for its vacuum system so I donated that to a local museum (Music House). I extracted the speaker and electronics--the latter of which have a fried power resistor, hinting at shorted filter caps (and I hope NOT a burned power xfrmr).

Your custom Scott is a really good looking unit, and completely in line with the Scott tradition of custom installations.

When I was a kid a local wealthy family (shipuilding) had a 30's Scott Allwave sitting in their 50s Alden Dow house as a decoration. It may have been used aboard the family yacht.

Chris Campbell
tasar

We'll Bill that guy "with the Scott" could be me.... point the car into the wind 😁
William wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:27 pm Thanks for sharing, Dave. Wow, that is a lot of chrome to keep polished and as a family heirloom I presume it is a keeper. The closest thing to your Scott that I have seen in person and heard was an EH Scott that belonged to a person I had as a client. We talked one day about hobbies and told me he was into vintage radios and invited me over to see his collection. Of course, I went and that is when I discovered his Scott and got to hear it along with all the rest of his collection.

Bill
William
Global Moderator

Me thinks I will wait until the roads are a little better, but come spring you never know, Dave, I could be knocking on your door. :)

Bill
19&41
Global Moderator

Now that cabinet has been repurposed to a better place! Those chassis are good looking, but they deserve a home too.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-Arthur C. Clarke
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair
tasar

Pa would open the gates behind the TV/Radio shops after lunch on Saturdays. It was the late 50s, and the early TVs were rearing their ugly heads. My brother and I had a thorough workout carrying tubes from the shop. A few would go down to a fella that would re-phos the screens and pray people would purchase. Pa knew better, men were starting to think a concept called "audio" and as 19&41 says, the sturdy cabinets were slam dunk answers to their prayers. I remember a few instances with the budding audiophiles coming to near blows for the best ones. Dad saw a cottage industry and prepared some for sale. Most daunting was cutting and hinging the tops for the turntables.... here's a 51 ? Motorola he still has. Dad is 99 this year !
IMG_8114.jpeg
I still remember the early tube US builds populating the lower shelves within, dad's with a W4 Heathkit block and Marantz preamp accompanied by an Empire TT. Things really haven't moved far forward for me regarding audio. The more I've dabbled over the years, the more I realized that lower powered high efficiency systems are the "icing" on the cake.
William
Global Moderator

Thanks for sharing some family history, Dave. So, what's in the one pictured. I see shadows for maybe 5 speakers and the TT looks like it might be a Garrard. What else is in there?? I really like the way he hinged the top, very professional looking.

Bill
TC Chris
Anchor Member

tasar wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:49 pm Dad saw a cottage industry and prepared some for sale. Most daunting was cutting and hinging the tops for the turntables.... here's a 51 ? Motorola he still has. Dad is 99 this year !IMG_8114.jpeg
So you inherited both the inclination and the talent!

Chris Campbell
tasar

Dad moonlighted as an instructor at Boston Tech HS, stuff like this was "child's play" for him. He is one of those artistic minded woodworkers known as pattern maker, thinks 3-D, not as easy as it sounds. I haven't near his skill set in this regard.
You'd be correct on the Garrard, Bill. I was given the original Empire Troubadour that once graced that space. The tube amp and preamp I mentioned also found their way to my house back on the 70s.Dad built an early SS Heathkit Integrated and then purchased a Pioneer SX series receiver. I just rebuilt the Heathkit and plan to see a grandson enjoy it soon. The bottom cavity has had changeouts over the years, rather stunted area that had EV 2 way array of sorts early on. I believe he changed it at some point replacing the horn with a full range JBL 8" and soft dome types.
TC Chris
Anchor Member

What's the Heathkit integrated?

Chris Campbell
tasar

The AA 15 and its buddy the AJ 15 tuner.The two were later married in the factory AR1500. I can add without hesitation these were excellent design/component executions. Many dis Heath, a perpetual myth of the less inclined and unknowing. The parts were first rate from condensers to transformers. Owner pride was a good company's business model. I've owned everything under the Sun solid state, the 1968-1970 kit holds its own. Same for their tube designs, great parts, exceeded anything Dynaco.
IMG_9982.jpeg
IMG_0208.jpeg
William
Global Moderator

Those are both sharp looking Heathkits, I have always liked Heathkit. I have an AA100 amp and a model SA-2, both needing restoration. If I had a complaint, it would be printed circuit boards in the AA100.

Bill
TC Chris
Anchor Member

I built an AA-22 in my freshman dorm room and an AJ-15 tuner in my senior dorm room. Still have both, and both need attention by now. Before that I built an AA-100 for my Dad and the matching AJ-41 tuner. Those are in the queue too. And an AJ-11 for Dad's office background music, together with a little Allied mono amp (P-P 6BQ5s).

Bill, new PC boards for the AA-100 are available.

Chris Campbell